In October 2008, the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services began administering a new set of questions for the naturalization exam.
To help library users prepare for the new USCIS naturalization interview, a small group representing numerous SFPL departments (including the Branch Bookmobile Manager) collaborated with the Ethnic Services Committee to develop a set of online resources including the following tools to assist our patrons with the recent exam changes:
* A video introduction with transcript
* A guide to naturalization
* Detailed practice materials for the new citizenship exam
* Information about local organizations that can help with the citizenship process
* A list of English as a Second Language (ESL) providers
We're pleased to announce that the new resources are now available on the SFPL website at http://sfpl.org/citizenship
Resources are currently available in 5 languages: English, Spanish, Cantonese, Mandarin, and Russian, with more languages to come in Phase 2 of the project.
These resources are designed to help patrons navigate the processes in their own language, assist staff helping patrons in other languages, and support outside organizations assisting individuals with the citizenship exam.